We’ve all heard the recommendations to “get your 10,000 steps a day” in, but do we truly realise just how good the simple act of walking can be for us?
Research has shown that regular walking can have amazing benefits on your health and wellbeing.
Regular walking has been demonstrated to be great for, among other things:
- releasing tension and improving mood
- relieving stress and anxiety
- improving sleep
- aiding digestion
- Improving circulation and cardiovascular health
- strengthening of bones and muscles
- stretching out tired or strained muscles
- building fitness, strength and endurance
- boosting metabolism
- improving vitamin D levels (if you walk outdoors)
- You are one day post-op and need to get mobile to release muscles tensed up from surgery, lying down for too long and let’s not forget gas pain!
- You need to release taut muscles after a strenuous workout;
- You need a lift in mood, a means to wind down or destress;
- You want to increase your general fitness and endurance; or
- Your guts just aren’t handling the Christmas spirit!!
From laps of the ward in hospital, or a gentle potter around shops; to relaxing strolls along the beach or 10Km hikes through the beautiful Australian bush.
There’s nothing stopping from starting to enjoy the many benefits of a walk.
Where will your walking take you this summer?