Privately Insured Patients
Most private health funds will cover hospital costs associated with weight loss surgery; however, it is best to check with your health fund to assess whether you have the appropriate level of cover. Health funds generally require a 12 month waiting period before you are able to access cover for your hospital fees.
MEDICARE ITEM NUMBERS
Please be aware that, as of 1st July 2013, the Medicare item numbers relating to weight loss surgery have changed. You can quote the following item numbers when making an enquiry with your private health fund:
- Adjustable Gastric Banding: 31569 (previously 30511)
- Sleeve Gastrectomy: 31575 (previously 30518)
- Gastric Bypass: 31572 (previously 30512)
- Revision Surgery: (i.e. Removal or Replacement of Gastric Band): 31584 (previously 30514)
Once you have assessed your level of cover for your hospital stay, you can generally expect to be responsible for the following out pocket expenses:
OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES
- Hospital Excess Fees: This depends on the level of cover you hold and is charged to you upon being admitted to a private hospital. Check with your health fund.
- Surgical Package Fees: These fees are paid directly to WeightLoss Solutions Australia and cover costs associated with surgery and your medically supervised weight loss program. This includes support provided to you by the surgeon, nurse, dietitian, and psychologist over the first 12 months following surgery. Please call us for more information on (07) 5598 0500. Please visit Lap-Band Package Inclusions and Gastric Sleeve Package Inclusions for information regarding what’s included in your program. You can also visit your Weight Loss Journey Explained for more information.
- Anaethetist’s Fees: These fees may vary depending on the procedure, your health at the time of surgery, and the length of time you need to be under anaesthetic, but should range between $1000 – $1,600. Medicare rebates generally apply.
- Pre-surgery Consultations: With the surgeon cost $170 and attract a rebate from Medicare of about $72.95 (only if you have a referral from your doctor). Consults with our dietitian and psychologist, which are essential for your weight loss program to be medically supervised, may also attract rebates from you private health fund but not Medicare. These consultations will cost you $120 and $220 respectively. Check with your health fund for applicable rebates.
- Pre and Post-Surgery Formulated Meal Replacements: All patients undergoing weight loss surgery are required to follow a strict pre and post-surgery diet. This diet includes specially formulated meal replacements (Optislim), which are accessible through our clinic and will cost you around $105 to cover your pre and post surgery diet phases.
- Miscellaneous: Patients are required to take a multivitamin over the life of their weight loss program (NutriChew) which will cost around $35 a month. Depending on your health, you may need X-Rays or blood tests, and in some cases you may need to undergo further tests before and/or after surgery.